This one is a great marathon training session if you are not chasing a decent time for your half marathon race.
One of the difficulties of marathon training is that it’s not sensible to train very long distances at race pace because of the necessary recovery time needed.
This session is simple: just warm up for 5 easy miles before your half marathon race, then run the half marathon at your planned marathon pace.
This is effective for a number of reasons:
- You get used to running marathon pace when in a depleted state
- You can rehearse many of you marathon plans in a race situation: clothing, fueling, pre-race eating, hydration, shoes, pace control
- It gets you used to that ‘big race’ spectacle if you are comparatively inexperienced
- It exercises self control in running slightly within your means (essential for early stages of marathon running)
- You get to feel pretty smug afterwards