A pyramid session this week.
For more details of these sessions see the introduction and Week 1.
Week 7: a great session for adding some variety to your running training.
- Run/jog easily for 5-10 minutes.
- Perform the lung matrix from Session 2.
- Hamstring sweeps (see vid from session 6), for 25 metres.
- 4 x 30-second strides with gradual acceleration, with 30-second jog between.
- Perform the arabesque (see video at the end of Session 1).
If you’ve continued with these exercises (and it’s very worthwhile), then you might be at the stage where you can hold some light weights in your hands. Without weights they are still very beneficial, so keep at it. These arabesques can be done before you run during your warm-up; when cooling down; or separately — whatever works for you.
Don’t be too concerned about specific paces for this one, faster for the shorter reps and around 5k pace for the longer ones. Recoveries are active, so some slower running/jogging between reps.
Volume is according to your preference/experience.
1 set is: 1 min fast, 2 mins fast, 4 mins 5k, 2 mins fast, 1 min fast, all with 2-minute recoveries between each rep.
3 mins easy after set.
1 or 2 sets (21 mins or 42 mins).
For an in-between option, run an additional 4-min rep in the middle.
Cool down with 5-10 mins easy.