Developing a fast finish
For more details of these sessions see the introduction and Week 1.
Week 9: This is a mixed session, each set starting off with a long rep and then, without recovery, picking things up for a shorter and faster rep.
It’s a great session for developing that vital finishing kick. We are not talking about an eyeballs-out last 20 mtrs that we so often see from tail-enders at the finish of races. Rather, this a sustained effort over the last 200-400 mtrs of a race that gain you vital positions and an improved time for the race.
10 minutes easy jog.
- Perform the lung matrix from Session 2.
- Hamstring sweeps (see vid from session 6), for 25 metres.
- 3 x 30 seconds strides with 1m recovery.
For the long reps, we’ll be running at 10k race pace, for the shorter reps, pick up as much as you can without having to slow down before the end of the rep.
Here’s one set:
- Run 5 mins at 10k pace.
- Without recovery, pick up the pace for a sustained 1-minute effort.
- Focus on form for the fast part, good arm drive, picking up knees in front and heels behind.
- 2 minutes of easy running to recover.
How many sets?
Depending on experience and ability run between 3 and 5 sets (24 and 40 minutes).
Easy jog for 5-10 minutes to cool down.