- Total weekly miles
22 miles this week. Not that much, but had to take a couple of days to recover from the festival!
- Number of running sessions
4 sessions, 3 runs of about one hour and one of 45 minutes because I’d eaten a lot of crap that day (white bread, sweets and crisps) and felt awful on my run – headache, stomach cramps, just felt awful so I went home early!
- Total weekly barefoot miles
About 6 miles.
- Number of barefoot running sessions
- Running terrain
Mostly flat, on a mixture of pavement, dirt tracks and road.
- Ground surface of barefoot runs
Pavement and road.
- Runs in minimalist shoes, e.g. Five Fingers.
Lunas with leather laces for all my runs, taking them off for the last 2 miles or so.
- Weather for barefoot runs (rain on road?)
Warm but damp.
- Condition of skin on feet — hotspots, blisters
I managed to develop a crack in the skin at the joint (the ‘crease’ in the skin) of my second toe on my left foot, maybe connected to the knot on my sandals. It was really painful. I used superglue to sick it back together to give the new skin underneath some protection while it healed. Fine now after bothering me for a couple of days.
- Interesting/amusing comments received during the week: e.g. ‘You’ve got no shoes on!’
Someone ran beside me for a bit on one of my runs to ask about my sandals. Pretty similar conversation to the one I had during the race – “yeah, it doesn’t hurt, they’re really comfy, why not give it a go sometime?”… “maybe… bye!”
- Treading on nasty things: e.g. glass, thorns, poo — how you dealt with any
- Changes in your running style that you’ve noticed.
None this week.
- Injuries incurred, or reduction of existing symptoms.
- Useful tips and nuggets of info you’ve picked up along the way.
Again, none. I’ll write a seperate entry to give a conclusion to my first year as a barefoot/minimalist runner.